Volunteer For The Best Job Ever!
What better place to give of your time if you are a car nut like me? Every week I look forward to spending the day surrounded by magnificent automobiles, a splendid rural campus and friendly museum staff. – Dar
The Gilmore Car Museum offers a one-of-a-kind opportunity for volunteers. This is the place to share our love of cars and history with people from all over the nation. Volunteer with us and you’ll join a fun team—as a non-profit we rely on a lot of great volunteers—and you’ll spend your time helping care for our incredible collection, exclusive venues, and beautiful 90-acre campus.
Logging over 8,500 hours annually, volunteers at the Gilmore Car Museum help fulfill our mission by assisting with these fun and rewarding tasks such as:
- Serving as a volunteer Weekday Docent
- Providing customer service and performing a variety of office tasks as Administrative Assistant
- Working on vehicles in the Gilmore Collection and assisting in our Automotive Maintenance Shop
- Assisting in our Library and Archives
- Participating on our Education Committee
- Serving as a Mentor in the Gilmore Garage Works program
- Helping to maintain our beautiful buildings, grounds, and gardens (Click here to learn more about how to Adopt a Garden)
- And helping the Museum Staff with numerous tasks during our annual car shows
Want to Volunteer?
STEP 1 – Fill out the application form below
If you are interested in volunteering for the Gilmore Garage Works Youth Mentoring Program*, you will need to also fill out and submit the two forms below and email or mail to: Volunteer Manager, Gilmore Car Museum, 6865 W. Hickory Rd, Hickory Corners, MI 49060.
STEP 2 – Interview by phone or in person with the volunteer manager
STEP 3 – Complete the general on-boarding session
- This includes review of the Volunteer Handbook, and signing receipt of handbook form. VOLUNTEER HANDBOOK
- Diversity and inclusion training, which can be completed online.
- If you are applying for a volunteer role that requires driving, you will need to provide proof of a valid driver’s license.
- The volunteer shirt and name tag will be issued or ordered.
STEP 4 – Complete department specific training
- Gilmore Garage Works Youth Mentoring has an additional handbook that will be reviewed during department specific training. GILMORE GARAGE WORKS VOLUNTEER SUPPLEMENTAL HANDBOOK
*Gilmore Garage Works Youth Mentoring Program
The Gilmore Garage Works Program is seeking applicants to develop a pool of volunteers that can serve as fill in and full program mentors, mentor assistants, substitutes, and specialized skill experts. The program runs through the school year, with sessions Tuesday and Thursday evenings.
The Garage Works Mission is to provide area high school students with Antique Auto Restoration Skills, Basic Shop Skills, Fundamentals of Automotive Maintenance, Team Work and Employability Skills. Students are the most important element of the program. In all decision making, and leadership choices; “It’s all about the students.”
Garage Works Mentors:
Mentors are first and foremost, teachers and provide good examples for students. Garage Works Mentors provide supervision, mentoring and automotive skill training as a leader, project manager, and project assistant. A big part of mentoring is the development of excellent friendship based, working relationships with the students. Ultimately having a trusting, supportive and nurturing mentor staff, always serves the mission of making the experience “all about the students.”
Lead Mentors: Mentors who provide team leadership focused on one area within the over-all Garage Works:
- Paint and Body Team
- Chassis and Frame Team
- Engine Team
- Motor Cycle Team
Mentor Assistants: Serve under the Lead Mentors as an assistant in each area. Each project may have several mentors working as assistant project leaders. When the Lead Mentors cannot be in attendance, one of the Mentor Assistants will fill in.
Background checks are required for program volunteers.
Questions? Please contact:
Stacie Longwell Sadowski
Director of Development