~ Going Back to Driver’s Training …
2020 Class Dates are Here!
National Association of Automobile Museum’s Educational Programs Award Winner!
Learn to Drive a Model T Ford…operated with 3 foot pedals (No Gas Pedal!), one hand lever, and two hand controls on the steering wheel!
Secure a seat Behind the Wheel of an AUTHENTIC Model T Ford, built between 1908 and 1927 — right out of the Museum’s fleet of vintage vehicles — and drive 3 miles on paved roads within our historic campus with an experienced and enthusiastic instructor. This is truly a fun and memorable hands-on experience that’s perfect for multi-generational family groups, couples, corporate team building, or anyone who wants to take a step back in time and learn how to drive, or get a refresher, in one of the 15 million “Tin Lizzies” built by the Ford Motor Company over 100 years ago.
Our expert instructors will teach:
- Use of spark and throttle control levers
- Coordination of hand and foot controls
- Proper shifting techniques
- Stopping the vehicle
- Correct use of the Neutral / Brake lever
- Reversing the vehicle
- Starting basics
PLUS all students will receive:
- Historian-guided tour in portions of the Museum Collection with lessons on Henry Ford and how the Model T changed the world
- Souvenir Model T booklet – produced exclusively for the Gilmore Car Museum
- Admission to the entire Historic Campus of the Gilmore Car Museum for the day
- Certificate of Completion suitable for framing
Some Important Notes:
- Valid driver’s license or learner’s permit required
- Class size is limited so each student enjoys some one-on-one time with the instructors.
- YES, we still drive in the rain just like they did in 1908, so dress for the weather!
- Wear comfortable / practical shoes for walking and for driving. The cars are controlled with foot pedals that are situated very close to each other: SORRY NO flip flops, high heels, sandals or large work boots will be allowed.
- If you have any requirements where you may need special assistance, please consider inviting a friend to register for the class with you.
- Don’t worry, we’ll leave the crank starting of the cars to the instructors.
- Prepare to have the experience of a lifetime!
Registration is $115.00 per student
ONLINE REGISTRATION ONLY –
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
Because of the high demand for our Model T Driving School, student registration is non-refundable. If necessary, you may however, make a one-time request to change to a different class date and/or session time. This request must be received at least 14 days prior to the original class date purchased by calling the Museum at 269-671-5089 or sending an email to Info@Gimorecarmuseum.org. These changes are based solely upon class space availability and, pending approval, will require an additional $25.00 administration fee. Please note that classes are not cancelled due to adverse weather conditions.