Model T Driving Experience Afternoon Session
Phone: (269) 671-5089
Go Back to Driver’s Training …
ONLINE REGISTRATION ONLY –
Registration is $125.00 per student
National Association of Automobile Museum’s Educational Programs Award Winner!
Learn to Drive a Model T Ford…operated with 3 foot pedals (No Gas Pedal!), one hand lever, and two hand controls on the steering wheel!
Secure a seat Behind the Wheel of an AUTHENTIC Model T Ford, built between 1908 and 1927 — right out of the Museum’s fleet of vintage vehicles — and drive 3 miles on paved roads within our historic campus with an experienced and enthusiastic instructor. This is truly a fun and memorable hands-on experience that’s perfect for multi-generational family groups, couples, corporate team building, or anyone who wants to take a step back in time and learn how to drive, or get a refresher, in one of the 15 million “Tin Lizzies” built by the Ford Motor Company over 100 years ago.
Our expert instructors will teach:
- Use of spark and throttle control levers
- Coordination of hand and foot controls
- Proper shifting techniques
- Stopping the vehicle
- Correct use of the Neutral / Brake lever
- Reversing the vehicle
- Starting basics
PLUS all students will receive:
- Historian-guided tour in portions of the Museum Collection with lessons on Henry Ford and how the Model T changed the world
- Souvenir Model T booklet – produced exclusively for the Gilmore Car Museum
- Admission to the entire Historic Campus of the Gilmore Car Museum for the day
- Certificate of Completion suitable for framing
Some Important Notes:
- Valid driver’s license or learner’s permit required
- Class size is limited so each student enjoys some one-on-one time with the instructors.
- YES, we still drive in the rain just like they did in 1908, so dress for the weather!
- Wear comfortable / practical shoes for walking and for driving. The cars are controlled with foot pedals that are situated very close to each other: SORRY NO flip flops, high heels, sandals or large work boots will be allowed.
- If you have any requirements where you may need special assistance, please consider inviting a friend to register for the class with you.
- Don’t worry, we’ll leave the crank starting of the cars to the instructors.
- Prepare to have the experience of a lifetime!
The MODEL T DRIVING EXPERIENCE
is based on a factor of THREE!
(Some answers to your questions…)
Sorry, there are no MP3 players in these cars. You’re heading back to Driver’s Training Old School!
- 3 Pedals – Forward, Reverse and “I Hope I Stop!” and NO gas pedal!
- 3 Cars – Yes, each student gets behind the wheel and drives 3 different authentic Model T Fords.
- 3 Miles – the distance each student will drive within our closed campus.
- 3 Hours – approximate time of each class.
- 3 Instructors – each student will have 3 different driving instructors.
- 3 Students per car – one car, one instructor and 3 students so that each participant will log an additional 6 Miles riding, observing and learning from their peers.
- 3 Engaging History segments – Chassis demo, early auto history tour and hands-on Mystery History Box™
We suggest that each student tour the museum (admission included with their class) either after their morning session or before their afternoon class session. Make sure you leave time to enjoy lunch at our authentic 1941 Blue Moon Diner.
Family and friends visiting the museum are required to purchase admission tickets and are welcome to hang out and take part in the class Engaging History segments. However, there isn’t room in the cars for extra riders. There are several opportunities to take photos of students driving and oftentimes the museum crew is able to give rides to family or friends.
Registration is $125.00 per student
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
Because of the high demand for our Model T Driving School, student registration is non-refundable. If necessary, you may however, make a one-time request to change to a different class date and/or session time. This request must be received at least 14 days prior to the original class date purchased by calling the Museum at 269-671-5089 or sending an email to Info@Gimorecarmuseum.org. These changes are based solely upon class space availability and, pending approval, will require an additional $25.00 administration fee. Please note that classes are not cancelled due to adverse weather conditions.